Melting Snow is Expected in New York
13 Points to Keep in Mind
Pre-Purchase Home, Building, Condo, and Co-op Inspections in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Putnam, and Westchester
from Heimer Engineering℠.
To donate to the American Red Cross Hurricane Florence relief, click here
Click on the green highlighted text to navigate this website.
Call 800.605.1500 and speak with a senior staff member.
Heimer Engineering℠ is happy to help you. 😊
There is snow and ice on the ground, and it is forecast to be warm. Please keep these nine points in mind to help prevent water penetration into your building.
- Gutters may be clogged with leaves and debris. As the snow starts to melt, water may drip over the edge of the gutter, causing water penetration. Gutters should be cleaned out.
- If the building has a flat roof, make sure that the roof drains are clear.
- Drains at the exterior entrance to the basement may be blocked by leaves, debris, and snow. These drains should be clean.
- Watch for snow and ice near exterior doors. Snow and ice can direct water toward the door, causing the water to enter the building.
- If you have sliding doors (including condo and co-op apartments with balconies), make sure that snow and ice are not causing water to accumulate at the base of the door.
- If the building has a flat roof with a structure protruding through the roof (such as a bulkhead, mechanical room, or living space), make sure that the water can drain away from the through-the-roof structure.
- If there is rooftop equipment (such as a heating/cooling unit) with ductwork into the building, make sure that water is not accumulating around the equipment.
- Driveway drains may be clogged by leaves, debris, and snow. Make sure these drains are cleaned before the storm.
- Street drains may be clogged or blocked. A non-functional street drain can allow water to drain onto your property. If possible, make sure that these drains are clear. Important: Watch out for traffic and wear a reflective safety vest any time you are working on a public street.
- Some buildings have yard drains. It is unlikely that you can clean the yard drains or that the water will flow toward the drains.
- If there are sump pumps, make sure that they are functioning properly and that the discharges are not blocked.
- There are probably mounds of snow piled around your building, and sections of driveways, walkways, patios, decks, etc. that are covered with ice. This snow and ice can affect water flow and drainage. You should monitor these areas, although it may not be possible to correct problems.
- Watch for falling snow and ice. Once it starts to rain, the snow will be much heavier than it is now.
Unfortunately, with all of the snow and ice, there may be nothing that you can do to prevent water penetration. The above steps will help, but will not prevent all snow-related water penetration.
Be sure and exercise appropriate caution when checking these items. There are potential dangers (for example falling off a ladder or being injured by a passing car of plow). Wear a reflective safety vest when working near where vehicles may be driving. Be sure to seek professional help as appropriate.
Contact Heimer Engineering℠
Heimer Engineering℠ is happy to help you. Senior Staff members are available Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. After 5 PM, please leave a message. Messages are checked during the day on Sunday, and Sunday evening through Thursday evening. Inspections are performed seven days a week.
Heimer Engineering's℠ inspection fees are competitive with non-Engineer's fees, especially when you consider that many non-Engineers charge extra for termite inspections, swimming pools, etc.
Inspection orders are taken by senior staff members. A real estate purchase is complex and you should be able to speak with someone who can answer your inspection questions.
To set up an appointment for a pre-purchase inspection or to find out about Engineering services or expert court testimony email Info@heimer.com, text 888.769.6910, or call 800.605.1500. If no staff member is in the office, leave a message.
Ask About a Web Discount
Heimer Engineering℠ serves the Metro New York area, including New York City (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island), Long Island (Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Upstate New York (Rockland County, Putnam County, and Westchester County).
In the event of a life-threatening emergency call 911. Emergency situations need to be handled by first-responders who can evacuate buildings, shut utilities off, and take other steps necessary to preserve life.
Standards of Practice
and Code of Ethics
Our Licensed Engineers substantially adhere to the InterNACHI® Code of Ethics, to Subpart 197-4 of the State of New York Code of Ethics and Regulations for Home Inspectors, the ASHI® Standards of Practice, and the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE®) Code of Ethics. In the event of a conflict, the Licensed Engineer uses Engineering judgment to decide what standard or Engineering principle takes precedence. All State of New York Licensed Engineers are bound by New York State Education Law Article 145.
Ask about a web discount. Discounts are also available for referrals (attorney, real estate broker, mortgage broker, co-worker, friend) first time buyers, senior citizens, military (army, navy, air force, marines, coast guard), first responders (police, ambulance, fire), municipal employees, security personnel, and union members.
Translate This Webpage
|Using Google Translate, you can view this webpage in the language of your choice.|
Heimer Engineering℠ performs home inspections, building inspections, condo inspections, and co-op inspections in the State of New York. Expert witness services are provided regarding playground injuries, parking lot, walkway, and stairway slip, trip, and fall.
The Heimer Engineering℠ website was designed and is maintained by Harold Krongelb PE. The contents of this website were written by Harold Krongelb P.E. This website is not intended to offer Engineering opinions or advice. Sitemaps and indexing information can be found at Page Sitemap, Image Sitemap, Mobile Sitemap, and Video Sitemap.
©1997-2018 Andrea and Harold Krongelb. All rights reserved. Used under license by Heimer Engineering PC.Heimer Engineering PC
f/k/a Richard L Heimer PE PC
2171 Jericho Turnpike, Suite 230
Commack, New York, USA 11725-2947
New York Metro: 800.605.1500
New York Metro: 800.640.8090
New York Metro: 646.757.4500
Bronx, New York: 718.547.2000
Brooklyn, New York: 718.237.7777
Manhattan, New York: 212.563.4777
Long Island, New York: 516.487.2100
Long Island, New York: 631.549.2500
Nassau County, New York: 516.487.2100
Putnam County, New York: 845.638.4900
Queens, New York: 718.544.3000
Staten Island, New York: 718.227.5000
Suffolk County, New York: 631.858.5500
Suffolk County, New York: 631.288.3900
Suffolk County, New York: 631.549.2500
Westchester County, New York: 914.576.6100
Fax: 631.858.5599, 646.795.4571