Heavy Rain is Forecast for New York
12 Points to Keep in Mind to
Help Protect Your Home
Insight Only Heimer Engineering℠
Today's messages from Heimer Engineering℠.
The written report contains a Quick Start Key Point Summary that you to sections of the report that clients and Attorneys have told Heimer Engineering℠ is most important to them.
Click on the green highlighted text to navigate this website.
Call us if you need us. Inspection orders are taken by senior staff members.
Heimer Engineering℠ is happy to help you.
If you had a pre-purchase inspection and did not close yet, visit the house, condo, co-op, or building after the storm to look for water penetration and damage.
Heavy rain is forecast in the days to come. There are steps you can take to help protect your home or building, and to help keep your family safe. Please keep the following 12 points in mind:
- Gutters may be clogged with leaves and debris. Gutters should be cleaned out before any heavy rainfall. Cleaning gutters during a heavy rain can be hazardous.
- If the building has a flat roof, make sure that the roof drains are clear before any heavy rainfall.
- Drains at the exterior entrance to the basement may be blocked by leaves and debris. These drains should be cleaned before the storm.
- Driveway drains may be clogged by leaves and debris. Make sure these drains are cleaned before the storm.
- Street and parking lot drains may be clogged or blocked. A non-functional street drain can allow water to drain onto your property. Make sure these drains are cleared before the storm. Important: Watch out for traffic any time you are working on a street with traffic.
- If the power goes out and you need a space heater (powered by a generator), exercise caution. Some space heaters are hazardous. Use only safe space heaters. Be careful to follow the manufacturer's instructions, including not overloading electrical circuits, not using unsafe extension cords, and keeping the space heater away from anything flammable. Do not use old electric space heaters that may not meet modern safety standards.
- Do not use old space heaters that burn anything. Some old kerosene and propane-gas heaters are very hazardous.
- If you use a backup generator, follow all safety recommendations. Portable electric generators cannot be used indoors ever.
- Because the risk of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning increases under storm conditions, make sure that smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors are present and functioning. Battery-powered smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors are needed for protection during a power outage.
- Do not use of unvented fuel-burning space heaters except under controlled conditions where they are known to be safe. Unvented fuel-burning space heaters should never be used in multi-family buildings, and may be prohibited in your community.
- Waterfront properties and other sites that are subject to flooding present specific issues that need to be addressed on a case-by-case basis. Other than exercising caution, there are no general recommendations that can be made. Recommendations from municipal authorities should be followed.
If an evacuation is ordered, leave as soon as it is safe to do so.
- Standing water may be deeper than you think. Flowing water can sweep you away. Exercise Caution!
Be sure and exercise appropriate caution when checking these items. There are potential dangers (for example falling off a ladder or being injured by a passing car of plow). Be sure to seek professional help as appropriate.
Contact Heimer Engineering℠ 24/7
Heimer Engineering℠ is happy to help you. Senior Staff members are available to answer your questions from Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. After 5 PM, please leave a message. Messages are checked during the day on Sunday, and Sunday evening through Thursday evening. Inspections are performed seven days a week. Choose Heimer Engineering℠.
Inspection orders are taken by senior staff members. A real estate purchase is complex, and you should be able to speak with someone who can give you real answers to your inspection questions.
To set up an appointment for a pre-purchase inspection, or to find out about Engineering services or expert court testimony send Heimer Engineering℠ an email at WebInfoRequest@heimer.com, send Heimer Engineering℠ a text at 888.769.6910, call Heimer Engineering℠ at 800.605.1500, or call Heimer Engineering℠ at 646.757.4500. If no staff member is in the office, leave a message.
Heimer Engineering℠ serves the Metro New York area, including New York City (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island), Long Island (Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Upstate New York (Rockland County, Putnam County, and Westchester County).
Heimer Engineering℠ respects your privacy. Some inspection firms share information with insurance, landscaping, home maintenance, moving, cable, mortgage, and other companies. You will not receive phone calls or solicitation emails from third parties as a result of providing personal information.
In the event of a life-threatening emergency call 911. Emergency situations need to be handled by first-responders who can evacuate buildings, shut utilities off, and take other steps necessary to preserve life.
Heimer Engineering℠The Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ substantially adhere to the InterNACHI® Code of Ethics, to Subpart 197-4 of the State of New York Code of Ethics and Regulations for Home Inspectors, and to the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE®) Code of Ethics. All State of New York Licensed Engineers are also bound by New York State Education Law Article 145.
Standards of Practice
and Code of Ethics
The Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ substantially adhere to the InterNACHI® Standards of Practice and the ASHI® Standards of Practice. In the event of a conflict, the Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ use Engineering judgment to decide what standard or Engineering principle takes precedence.
Translate This Webpage
|Using Google Translate, you can view this webpage in the language of your choice.|
Heimer Engineering℠ performs home inspections, building inspections, condominium inspections, and co-op inspections in the State of New York. We do not perform inspections or recommend Inspectors or Engineers outside of the State of New York. We provide Licensed Professional Engineer consultation services including hurricane and storm damage and damage from adjoining construction. Expert witness services are provided regarding playground injuries, parking lot, walkway, and stairway slip, trip, and fall.
The Heimer Engineering℠ website was designed by Harold Krongelb. Post design review was performed by Matthew John Rapisarda. Sitemaps and indexing information can be found at Page Sitemap, Image Sitemap, and Video Sitemap. Heimer Engineering's domains include www.heimer.com, www.home-inspection-ny.com, www.professional-engineer.com, and www.home-inspection-engineer.com. Heimer Engineering posts updates on Facebook.
Microsoft Web Expressions publication timestamp: July 17, 2018.
©1997-2018 Andrea and Harold Krongelb. All rights reserved. Used under license by Heimer Engineering PC.
f/k/a Richard L Heimer PE PC
2171 Jericho Turnpike
Commack, New York, USA 11725-2947
✅ New York Metro: 800.605.1500
✅ New York Metro: 800.640.8090
✅ New York Metro: 646.757.4500
✅ Bronx, New York: 718.547.2000
✅ Brooklyn, New York: 718.237.7777
✅ Manhattan, New York: 212.563.4777
✅ Long Island, New York: 516.487.2100
✅ Long Island, New York: 631.549.2500
✅ Nassau County, New York: 516.487.2100
✅ Putnam County, New York: 845.638.4900
✅ Queens, New York: 718.544.3000
✅ Staten Island, New York: 718.227.5000
✅ Suffolk County, New York: 631.858.5500
✅ Suffolk County, New York: 631.288.3900
✅ Suffolk County, New York: 631.549.2500
✅ Westchester County, New York: 914.576.6100
✅ Fax: 631.858.5599, 646.795.4571
✅ Text: 888.769.6910
✅ Coordinates: 40.8439215, -73.2871259
✅ URL: www.heimer.com
✅ Email: Info@heimer.com
International Standard of Industrial Classification of All Economic Activities (ISIC) Revision 4 Classification: 71
North American Industry Classification System (SAISC) Classification: 541330, 541350