646.757.4500 • 800.605.1500
Heavy Rain is Forecast for New York
12 Points to Keep in Mind to
Help Protect Your Home
Insight Only An Engineer Offers
Home, Building, Condo, and Co-op Inspections
in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx,
Staten Island, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland,
Putnam, and Westchester
646.757.4500 • 800.605.1500
An Engineer's inspection, a pre-purchase inspection, and a termite inspection. You receive four reports: an onsite verbal report, an onsite written report, an emailed written report, and a termite report. Call 800.605.1500 or 646.757.4500 if you have questions. We are happy to help you.
Click on the blue boxes to navigate this website.
Ask For A
Heavy rain is forecast in the days to come. There are steps you can take to help protect your home or building, and to help keep your family sage. Please keep the following 12 points in mind:
- Gutters may be clogged with leaves and debris. Gutters should be cleaned out before any heavy rainfall. Cleaning gutters during a heavy rain can be hazardous.
- If the building has a flat roof, make sure that the roof drains are clear before any heavy rainfall.
- Drains at the exterior entrance to the basement may be blocked by leaves and debris. These drains should be cleaned before the storm.
- Driveway drains may be clogged by leaves and debris. Make sure these drains are cleaned before the storm.
- Street and parking lot drains may be clogged or blocked. A non-functional street drain can allow water to drain onto your property. Make sure these drains are cleared before the storm. Important: Watch out for traffic any time you are working on a street with traffic.
- If the power goes out and you need a space heater (powered by a generator), exercise caution. Some space heaters are hazardous. Use only safe space heaters. Be careful to follow the manufacturer's instructions, including not overloading electrical circuits, not using unsafe extension cords, and keeping the space heater away from anything flammable. Do not use old electric space heaters that may not meet modern safety standards.
Visit energy.gov/energysaver/articles/portable-heaters for information on space heaters. Heed all warnings regarding young children, pets, and people who are not sensitive to heat.
- Do not use old space heaters that burn anything. Some old kerosene and propane-gas heaters are very hazardous.
- If you use a backup generator, follow all safety recommendations. Portable electric generators cannot be used indoors ever.
- Because the risk of fire and carbon-monoxide poisoning increases under storm conditions, make sure that smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors are present and functioning. Battery-powered smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors are needed for protection during a power outage.
- If you are using a fuel-burning space heater inside your home, visit the Webpage located at www.health.ny.gov/environmental/indoors/heaters/safety_guide.htm for safety information. We do not recommend the use of unvented fuel-burning space heaters except under controlled conditions where they are known to be safe. Unvented fuel-burning space heaters should never be used in multi-family buildings, and may be prohibited in your community.
- Waterfront properties and other sites that are subject to flooding present specific issues that need to be addressed on a case-by-case basis. Other than exercising caution, there are no general recommendations that can be made. Recommendations from municipal authorities should be followed.
If an evacuation is ordered, leave as soon as it is safe to do so.
- Standing water may be deeper than you think. Flowing water can sweep you away. Exercise Caution!
Be sure and exercise appropriate caution when checking these items. There are potential dangers (for example falling off a ladder or being injured by a passing car of plow). Be sure to seek professional help as appropriate.
Contact Heimer Engineering 24/7
We are happy to help you. To set up an appointment for a pre-purchase inspection, or to find out about Engineering services or expert court testimony, click below for a contact form, send us an email, text us at 888.769.6910, call 646.757.4500, or call 800.605.1500. If no staff member is in the office, leave a message. Remember to ask about a web discount.
Heimer Engineering serves the Metro New York area, including New York City (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island), Long Island (Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Upstate New York (Rockland County, Putnam County, and Westchester County).
Heimer Engineering respects your privacy. Some inspection firms share information with insurance, landscaping, home maintenance, moving, cable, mortgage, and other companies. You will not receive phone calls or solicitation emails from third parties as a result of providing personal information.
In the event of a life-threatening emergency call 911. Emergency situations need to be handled by first-responders who can evacuate buildings, shut utilities off, and take other steps necessary to preserve life.
In addition to the webpage discount, discounts are available for referrals (attorney, real estate broker, mortgage broker, co-worker, friend) first time buyers, senior citizens, military (army, navy, air force, marines, coast guard), first responders (police, ambulance, fire), municipal employees, security personnel, and union members.
Translate This Webpage
|Using Google Translate, you can view this webpage in the language of your choice.|
Heimer Engineering performs home inspections, building inspections, condominium inspections, and co-op inspections in the State of New York. We do not perform inspections or recommend Inspectors or Engineers outside of the State of New York. We provide Licensed Professional Engineer consultation services including hurricane and storm damage and damage from adjoining construction. Expert witness services are provided regarding playground injuries, parking lot, walkway, and stairway slip, trip, and fall.
The website was designed by Harold Krongelb. Post design review was performed by Matthew John Rapisarda. Sitemaps and indexing information can be found at Page Sitemap, Image Sitemap, and Video Sitemap. Heimer Engineering's domains include www.heimer.com, www.expert-witness-ny.com, www.home-inspection-ny.com, www.professional-engineer.com, and www.home-inspection-engineer.com. Heimer Engineering posts updates on Facebook.
This page was published on .
This page was loaded:
(C) 1997-2017 Heimer Engineering PC. All rights reserved. Used under license by Heimer Engineering PC.
2171 Jericho Turnpike, Suite 230
Commack, New York, USA 11725-2947
• New York Metro Area: 800.605.1500, 646.757.4500
• Bronx, New York: 718.547.2000
• Brooklyn, New York: 718.237.7777
• Manhattan, New York: 212.563.4777
• Long Island, New York: 631.549.2500
• Nassau County, New York: 516.487.2100
• Putnam County, New York: 845.638.4900
• Queens, New York: 718.544.3000
• Staten Island, New York: 718.227.5000
• Suffolk County, New York: 631.858.5500, 631.288.3900
• Westchester County, New York: 914.576.6100
• Fax: 631.858.5599, 646.795.4571
• Text: 888.769.6910
• Coordinates: 40.8439215, -73.2871259
• URL: www.heimer.com
• Email: Info@heimer.com
International Standard of Industrial Classification of All Economic Activities (ISIC) Revision 4 Classification: 71
North American Industry Classification System (SAISC) Classification: 541330, 541350