Applying Scientific and
Heavy Rain is Forecast for New York
Help Protect Your Home and Family
Professional Engineer Inspectors
Applying Scientific and Engineering
to Home Inspections
and Building Inspections
Pre-Purchase Home, Building, Condo, and
Co-op Inspections in Manhattan, Queens,
Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, Nassau,
Suffolk, Rockland, Putnam, and Westchester
Click on the green highlighted text to navigate this website.
Call 800.605.1500 and speak with a senior staff member.
We are happy to help you.
If you had a pre-purchase inspection and did not close yet, visit the house, condo, co-op, or building after the storm to look for water penetration and damage.
Heavy rain is forecast in the days to come. There are steps you can take to help protect your home or building, and to help keep your family safe. Please keep the following 12 points in mind:
- Gutters may be clogged with leaves and debris. Gutters should be cleaned out before any heavy rainfall. Cleaning gutters during a heavy rain can be hazardous.
- If the building has a flat roof, make sure that the roof drains are clear before any heavy rainfall.
- Drains at the exterior entrance to the basement may be blocked by leaves and debris. These drains should be cleaned before the storm.
- Driveway drains may be clogged by leaves and debris. Make sure these drains are cleaned before the storm.
- Street and parking lot drains may be clogged or blocked. A non-functional street drain can allow water to drain onto your property. Make sure these drains are cleared before the storm. Important: Watch out for traffic and wear a reflective vest any time you are working on a street.
- If the power goes out and you need a space heater (powered by a generator), exercise caution. Some space heaters are hazardous. Follow the manufacturer's instructions, including not overloading electrical circuits, not using extension cords, and keeping the space heater away from anything flammable. Do not use old electric space heaters that may not meet modern safety standards.
- Do not use old space heaters that burn anything. Some old kerosene and propane-gas heaters are very hazardous.
- If you use a backup generator, follow all safety recommendations. Portable electric generators cannot be used indoors.
- Because the risk of fire and carbon monoxide poisoning increases under storm conditions, make sure that smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors are present and functioning. Battery-powered smoke and carbon-monoxide detectors are needed for protection during a power outage.
- Do not use unvented fuel-burning space heaters except under controlled conditions where they are known to be safe. Unvented fuel-burning space heaters should never be used in multi-family buildings, and may be prohibited in your community.
- Waterfront properties and other sites that are subject to flooding present specific issues that need to be addressed on a case-by-case basis. Other than exercising caution, there are no general recommendations that can be made. Recommendations from municipal authorities should be followed.
If an evacuation is ordered, leave as soon as it is safe to do so.
- Standing water may be deeper than you think. Flowing water can sweep you away. Exercise Caution!
Be sure and exercise appropriate caution. There are potential dangers (for example falling off a ladder or being injured by a passing car). Be sure to seek professional help as appropriate.
Contact Heimer Engineering℠
Heimer Engineering℠ is happy to help you. Senior Staff members are available Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. After 5 PM, please leave a message. Messages are checked during the day on Sunday, and Sunday evening through Thursday evening. Inspections are performed seven days a week.
Heimer Engineering's℠ inspection fees are competitive with non-Engineer Home Inspector's fees, especially when you consider that many non-Engineers charge extra for termite inspections, swimming pools, etc.
Inspection orders are taken by senior staff members. A real estate purchase is complex and you should be able to speak with someone who can answer your inspection questions.
To set up an appointment for a pre-purchase inspection or to find out about Engineering services or expert court testimony email Info@heimer.com, text 888.769.6910, or call 646.757.4500. If no staff member is in the office, leave a message.
Ask About a Web Discount
Heimer Engineering℠ serve the Greater New York area, including New York City (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island), Long Island (Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Upstate New York (Rockland County, Putnam County, and Westchester County).
In the event of a life-threatening emergency call 911. Emergency situations need to be handled by first-responders who can evacuate buildings, shut utilities off, and take other steps necessary to preserve life.
Standards of Practice
and Code of Ethics
Heimer Engineering's℠ Professional Engineer Home Inspectors substantially adhere to the InterNACHI® Code of Ethics, to Subpart 197-4 of the State of New York Code of Ethics and Regulations for Home Inspectors, the ASHI® Standards of Practice, and the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE®) Code of Ethics. In the event of a conflict, the Professional Engineer Home Inspectors use Engineering judgment to decide what standard or Engineering principle takes precedence. All State of New York Licensed Professional Engineers are bound by New York State Education Law Article 145.
Ask about a web discount. Discounts are also available for referrals (attorney, real estate broker, mortgage broker, co-worker, friend) first time buyers, senior citizens, military (army, navy, air force, marines, coast guard), first responders (police, ambulance, fire), municipal employees, security personnel, and union members.
Translate This Webpage
|Using Google Translate, you can view this webpage in the language of your choice.|
Heimer Engineering PC℠ performs home inspections, building inspections, condo inspections, and co-op inspections in the State of New York. Expert witness services are provided regarding playground injuries, parking lot, walkway, and stairway slip, trip, and fall.
The Heimer Engineering PC℠ website was designed and is maintained by Harold Krongelb PE. The contents of this website were written by Harold Krongelb PE. This website is not intended to offer Engineering opinions or advice. Sitemaps and indexing information can be found at Page Sitemap, Image Sitemap, Mobile Sitemap, and Video Sitemap.
©1997-2018 Andrea and Harold Krongelb. All rights reserved. Used under a revocable license by Heimer Engineering PC. All documents and methods used by Heimer Engineering PC are owned by Harold and Andrea Krongelb and are used under a revocable license.
Hashtags: #HomeInspection, #HomeInspector, #HouseInspection, #BuildingInspection, #CondoInspection, #CondominiumInspection, #CoopInspection, #ProfessionalEngineer, #NewYorkEngineer, #PrePurchaseInspection, #HeimerEngineering, #NewYorkHeimer Engineering PC
2171 Jericho Turnpike, Suite 230
Commack, New York, USA 11725-2947
New York Metro: 646.757.4500
Bronx, New York: 718.547.2000
Brooklyn, New York: 718.237.7777
Manhattan, New York: 212.563.4777
Long Island, New York: 516.487.2100
Long Island, New York: 631.549.2500
Nassau County, New York: 516.487.2100
Putnam County, New York: 845.638.4900
Queens, New York: 718.544.3000
Staten Island, New York: 718.227.5000
Suffolk County, New York: 631.858.5500
Westchester County, New York: 914.576.6100
Fax: 631.858.5599, 646.795.4571