Applying Scientific and
Ten Tips to Reduce Your
Air Conditioning Bills
Professional Engineer Inspectors
Applying Scientific and Engineering
and Common Sense
to Home and Building Inspections
Pre-Purchase Home, Building, Condo, and
Co-op Inspections in Manhattan, Queens,
Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, Nassau,
Suffolk, Rockland, Putnam, and Westchester
Click on the green highlighted text to navigate this website.
Call 646.757.4500 and speak with a senior staff member.
Heimer Engineering℠ is happy to help you!
It is hot, the cooling bills are high, and your home or building feels warm. Here are a few easy and inexpensive things you can do to improve cooling and reduce air-conditioning costs (number 9 may surprise you):
- One of the most important things that you can do to keep your home, building, condo, or co-op cool is make sure that windows and skylights are closed when the air-conditioner is running. You would be surprised to find how many windows are left slightly open in an average building on hot, humid days. Children and cleaning staff may open windows and not close them.
- Make sure that the heat is not on in any part of the building. This means the thermostats must all be in cooling mode and/or set to approximately the same temperature. This is a common problem in commercial buildings with multiple heating/cooling zones. Cool air blowing on a heating thermostat may cause the heat to come on.
- Be sure that all electric space heaters are shut off. In many offices, staff members run electric space heaters because the office is cold. This causes the cooling to run more, and the space heater to run more. The end result is higher electric bills. Find out why the office space is cold, and fix it.
- If you have an outdoor air-conditioning compressor, make sure that it is not blocked by landscaping. Many people plant bushes to hide air-conditioning compressors. As these bushes grow, they block airflow around the compressor. This prevents the compressor from functioning properly. Make sure there is good airflow around all air-conditioning compressors.
- Have all outdoor air-conditioning compressors serviced at least once per year. Internal passages become blocked, reducing efficiency. This is especially a problem when landscapers use blowers in the vicinity of the compressors.
- The cooler you make a room, the harder it is for the air-conditioning system to dehumidify the air. Depending on the system and temperature, a room may be less comfortable if you lower the temperature too much.
- Make sure inside air-conditioning ducts are not blocked by furniture, curtains, etc. The proper operation of an air-conditioning system depends on good airflow throughout the building.
- Filters may become clogged, and reduce air-conditioner efficiency. Proper operation of an air-conditioning system requires good airflow. Depending on how much you use the air-conditioner, you may need the change the filter every month. Pets and children going in and out can track in dust and other contaminants that clog filters.
- Wear light, comfortable clothing where possible.
- Too much filtration can reduce airflow, and result in poor cooling and inefficient operation. Many people buy expensive air-conditioner filters that promise to remove all sorts of contaminants. These filters can reduce the airflow and make the air-conditioning system function poorly. You may be better off using a separate air filtration system.
Listen to all government and weather service advisories. Excessive heat can cause health issues. If you have health issues, get medical advice as to how the warm weather will affect you. For more information:
- Keep Your Cool in Hot Weather
- Heat and Exercise, Keeping Cool in Hot Weather
- Hot Weather Advice
- Extreme Heat and Your Health
This is not a complete list, and items mentioned on this page are not necessarily applicable to every home, building, condo, or co-op.
Contact Heimer Engineering℠
Heimer Engineering℠ is happy to help you. Senior Staff members are available Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. After 5 PM, please leave a message. Messages are checked during the day on Sunday, and Sunday evening through Thursday evening. Inspections are performed seven days a week.
Heimer Engineering's℠ inspection fees are competitive with non-Engineer Home Inspector's fees, especially when you consider that many non-Engineers charge extra for termite inspections, swimming pools, etc.
Inspection orders are taken by senior staff members. A real estate purchase is complex and you should be able to speak with someone who can answer your inspection questions.
To set up an appointment for a pre-purchase inspection or to find out about Engineering services or expert court testimony email Info@heimer.com, text 888.769.6910, call 646.757.4500, or call 631.462.1515. If no staff member is in the office, leave a message.
Ask About a Web Discount
Heimer Engineering℠ serve the Greater New York area, including New York City (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island), Long Island (Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Upstate New York (Rockland County, Putnam County, and Westchester County).
In the event of a life-threatening emergency call 911. Emergency situations need to be handled by first-responders who can evacuate buildings, shut utilities off, and take other steps necessary to preserve life.
Standards of Practice
and Code of Ethics
Heimer Engineering's℠ Professional Engineer Home Inspectors substantially adhere to the InterNACHI® Code of Ethics, to Subpart 197-4 of the State of New York Code of Ethics and Regulations for Home Inspectors, the ASHI® Standards of Practice, and the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE®) Code of Ethics. In the event of a conflict, the Professional Engineer Home Inspectors use Engineering judgment to decide what standard or Engineering principle takes precedence. All State of New York Licensed Professional Engineers are bound by New York State Education Law Article 145.
Ask about a web discount. Discounts are also available for referrals (attorney, real estate broker, mortgage broker, co-worker, friend) first time buyers, senior citizens, military (army, navy, air force, marines, coast guard), first responders (police, ambulance, fire), municipal employees, security personnel, and union members.
Translate This Webpage
|Using Google Translate, you can view this webpage in the language of your choice.|
Heimer Engineering PC℠ performs home inspections, building inspections, condo inspections, and co-op inspections in the State of New York. Expert witness services are provided regarding playground injuries, parking lot, walkway, and stairway slip, trip, and fall.
The Heimer Engineering PC℠ website was designed and is maintained by Harold Krongelb PE. The contents of this website were written by Harold Krongelb PE. This website is not intended to offer Engineering opinions or advice. Sitemaps and indexing information can be found at Page Sitemap, Image Sitemap, Mobile Sitemap, and Video Sitemap.
To protect an individual's privacy, images of people used on this site are either licensed stock images or used with permission. The images of the clients who emailed compliments to Heimer Engineering℠ are not of the actual client.
©1997-2019 Andrea and Harold Krongelb. All rights reserved. Used under a revocable license by Heimer Engineering PC. All documents and methods used by Heimer Engineering PC are owned by Harold and Andrea Krongelb and are used under a revocable license.
Hashtags: #HomeInspection, #HomeInspector, #HouseInspection, #BuildingInspection, #CondoInspection, #CoopInspection, #ProfessionalEngineer, #LicensedProfessionalEngineer, #NewYork #NewYorkEngineer, #PrePurchaseInspection, #HeimerEngineering, #NewYork, #PersonalInjuryEngineer, #ExpertWitness, #CommonSense, #HaroldKrongelbPE, #TripAndFall, #SlipAndFallHeimer Engineering℠ PC
2171 Jericho Turnpike
Commack, New York, USA 11725-2947
Heimer Engineering℠ PC
PO Box 1078
Commack, New York, USA 11725-0942
Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island: 646.757.4500
Nassau County, Suffolk County, New York: 516.487.2100 631.858.5500
Westchester County, Putnam County, Rockland County, New York: 914.576.6100 845.638.4900
Basic Info: www.heimer.com/abc
Pre-Inspection Agreement: www.heimer.com/123