646.757.4500 • 800.605.1500
Home Inspection Standards Of Practice
Insight Only An Engineer Offers
Home, Building, Condo, and Co-op Inspections
in Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx,
Staten Island, Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland,
Putnam, and Westchester
646.757.4500 • 800.605.1500
An Engineer's inspection, a pre-purchase inspection, and a termite inspection. You receive four reports: an onsite verbal report, an onsite written report, an emailed written report, and a termite report. Call 800.605.1500 or 646.757.4500 if you have questions. We are happy to help you.
Click on the blue boxes to navigate this website.
Ask For A
The Standards of Practice deals with aspects of the home inspection such as what is inspected, what the client can expect, what an inspector is permitted to do, etc. These standards do not necessarily say how something is to be inspected, or the standards for judging an aspect of the home.
Standards of Practice are written with an emphasis on one, two, three, and four-family homes. The Standards of Practice has limited applicability to a condo or co-op apartments, depending on how it is configured. The Standards of Practice is not written for commercial buildings.
The Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering substantially adhere to the InterNACHI Standards of Practice, and to Subpart 197-4 of the State of New York Code of Ethics and Regulations for Home Inspectors (to the extent that they apply to Licensed Engineers). Licensed Engineers are also bound by Article 145, the State of New York Professional Engineering, Land Surveying and Geology laws.
In the event of a conflict between different Standards of Practice, or if the Standards of Practice conflict with the Licensed Engineer's responsibility to his client, the Licensed Engineer will use his professional judgment as to what should be inspected. For example, the Standards of Practice for non-Engineers state that a home inspection does not include Engineering. When a Licensed Engineer performs an inspection, Engineering judgment is employed.
➜ New York Standards of Practice You will need to scroll down on their webpage to see the standards.
Because we only use Licensed Engineers, there is a need to be careful not to mislead you. Therefore, there are some limited aspects of the standards that we cannot comply with.
- Commenting on the presence or absence of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors may mislead the buyer into thinking that they have adequate protection.
- Only a licensed electrician should open an electric panel. Although this is still listed in some Standards of Practice, most home inspectors will not open electric panels.
- Opening of heat and air-conditioner access panels is limited to panels that are designed to be opened without disrupting the operation of the equipment.
- Heat and air-conditioning are only operated when the temperature is acceptable for testing.
- It is often not always possible to verify fan ducting.
- Because of the hazards associated with burning a fire inside a house, recommendations regarding a fireplace are limited.
- Improper rail spacing is only commented on if there is a clear defect.
- Testing of AFCIs and GFCIs may disrupt normal household activities in harmful ways. It is inappropriate to disrupt household activities.
Contact Heimer Engineering 24/7
We are happy to help you. To set up an appointment for a pre-purchase inspection, or to find out about Engineering services or expert court testimony, click below for a contact form, send us an email, text us at 888.769.6910, call 646.757.4500, or call 800.605.1500. If no staff member is in the office, leave a message. Remember to ask about a web discount.
Heimer Engineering serves the Metro New York area, including New York City (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island), Long Island (Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Upstate New York (Rockland County, Putnam County, and Westchester County).
Heimer Engineering respects your privacy. Some inspection firms share information with insurance, landscaping, home maintenance, moving, cable, mortgage, and other companies. You will not receive phone calls or solicitation emails from third parties as a result of providing personal information.
In the event of a life-threatening emergency call 911. Emergency situations need to be handled by first-responders who can evacuate buildings, shut utilities off, and take other steps necessary to preserve life.
In addition to the webpage discount, discounts are available for referrals (attorney, real estate broker, mortgage broker, co-worker, friend) first time buyers, senior citizens, military (army, navy, air force, marines, coast guard), first responders (police, ambulance, fire), municipal employees, security personnel, and union members.
Translate This Webpage
|Using Google Translate, you can view this webpage in the language of your choice.|
Heimer Engineering performs home inspections, building inspections, condominium inspections, and co-op inspections in the State of New York. We do not perform inspections or recommend Inspectors or Engineers outside of the State of New York. We provide Licensed Professional Engineer consultation services including hurricane and storm damage and damage from adjoining construction. Expert witness services are provided regarding playground injuries, parking lot, walkway, and stairway slip, trip, and fall.
The website was designed by Harold Krongelb. Post design review was performed by Matthew John Rapisarda. Sitemaps and indexing information can be found at Page Sitemap, Image Sitemap, and Video Sitemap. Heimer Engineering's domains include www.heimer.com, www.expert-witness-ny.com, www.home-inspection-ny.com, www.professional-engineer.com, and www.home-inspection-engineer.com. Heimer Engineering posts updates on Facebook.
This page was published on .
This page was loaded:
(C) 1997-2017 Heimer Engineering PC. All rights reserved. Used under license by Heimer Engineering PC.
2171 Jericho Turnpike, Suite 230
Commack, New York, USA 11725-2947
• New York Metro Area: 800.605.1500, 646.757.4500
• Bronx, New York: 718.547.2000
• Brooklyn, New York: 718.237.7777
• Manhattan, New York: 212.563.4777
• Long Island, New York: 631.549.2500
• Nassau County, New York: 516.487.2100
• Putnam County, New York: 845.638.4900
• Queens, New York: 718.544.3000
• Staten Island, New York: 718.227.5000
• Suffolk County, New York: 631.858.5500, 631.288.3900
• Westchester County, New York: 914.576.6100
• Fax: 631.858.5599, 646.795.4571
• Text: 888.769.6910
• Coordinates: 40.8439215, -73.2871259
• URL: www.heimer.com
• Email: Info@heimer.com
International Standard of Industrial Classification of All Economic Activities (ISIC) Revision 4 Classification: 71
North American Industry Classification System (SAISC) Classification: 541330, 541350