Heimer Engineering℠ Standards Of Practice
Insight Only Heimer Engineering℠
Today's messages from Heimer Engineering℠.
Happy Father's Day!
Click on the green boxes to navigate this website.
Call us if you need us. Inspection orders are taken by senior staff members.
Heimer Engineering℠ is happy to help you.
The Home Inspection Standards of Practice deals with aspects of the home inspection such as what is inspected, what the client can expect, what an inspector is permitted to do, etc. These standards do not necessarily say how something is to be inspected, or the standards for judging an aspect of the home.
Home Inspection Standards of Practice are written with an emphasis on one, two, three, and four-family homes. Home Inspection Standards of Practice has limited applicability to a condo or co-op apartments, depending on how it is configured. A Home Inspection Standards of Practice is not written for commercial buildings.
The Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ substantially adhere to the InterNACHI® Standards of Practice, ASHI® Standards of Practice and to Subpart 197-4 of the State of New York Code of Ethics and Regulations for Home Inspectors (to the extent that they apply to Licensed Engineers). Licensed Engineers are also bound by Article 145, the State of New York Professional Engineering, Land Surveying and Geology laws.
In the event of a conflict between different Standards of Practice, or if the Standards of Practice conflict with the Licensed Engineer's responsibility to his client, the Licensed Engineer will use his professional judgment as to what should be inspected. For example, the Standards of Practice for non-Engineers state that a home inspection does not include Engineering. When a Licensed Engineer performs an inspection, Engineering judgment is employed.
New York Standards of Practice You will need to scroll down on their webpage to see the standards.
Because Heimer Engineering℠ only uses Licensed Engineers, there is a need to be careful not to mislead you. Therefore, there are some limited aspects of the standards that we cannot comply with.
- Commenting on the presence or absence of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors may mislead the buyer into thinking that they have adequate protection. Heimer Engineering℠ indicates the need for these vital safety devices regardless of whether or not they are present.
- Only a licensed electrician should open an electric panel. A non-Electrician can create a condition hazardous to the home's occupants by opening an electrical panel. Although this is still listed in some Standards of Practice, most home inspectors will not open electric panels. Heimer Engineering℠ considers safety more important than meaningless show.
- Opening of heat and air-conditioner access panels is limited to panels that are designed to be opened without disrupting the operation of the equipment. Heimer Engineering℠ is not at the site to damage equipment.
- Heat and air-conditioning are only operated when the temperature is acceptable for testing. It would be misleading to attempt to test this equipment when no valuable information can be obtained. Heimer Engineering℠ does not pretend to activate equipment for show.
- It is often not always possible to verify fan ducting. Heimer Engineering℠ does not pretend it does something it cannot do.
- Because of the hazards associated with burning a fire inside a house, recommendations regarding a fireplace include the hazards. Heimer Engineering℠ is not going to ignore a clear hazard.
- Improper rail spacing is only commented on if there is a clear defect. The issue is not nearly as clear as some standards suggest. The Licensed Engineer uses professional judgment to assess the risks.
- Testing of AFCIs and GFCIs may disrupt normal household activities ways that are harmful to occupants. For example, resetting medical equipment is never a good idea. While Heimer Engineering℠ does its best for our clients, we will never put the home occupants at risk.
Contact Heimer Engineering℠ 24/7
Heimer Engineering℠ is happy to help you. Senior Staff members are available to answer your questions from Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. After 5 PM, please leave a message. Messages are checked during the day on Sunday, and Sunday evening through Thursday evening. Inspections are performed seven days a week. Choose Heimer Engineering℠.
Inspection orders are taken by senior staff members. A real estate purchase is complex, and you should be able to speak with someone who can give you real answers to your inspection questions.
To set up an appointment for a pre-purchase inspection, or to find out about Engineering services or expert court testimony send Heimer Engineering℠ an email at WebInfoRequest@heimer.com, send Heimer Engineering℠ a text at 888.769.6910, call Heimer Engineering℠ at 800.605.1500, or call Heimer Engineering℠ at 646.757.4500. If no staff member is in the office, leave a message.
Heimer Engineering℠ serves the Metro New York area, including New York City (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island), Long Island (Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Upstate New York (Rockland County, Putnam County, and Westchester County).
Heimer Engineering℠ respects your privacy. Some inspection firms share information with insurance, landscaping, home maintenance, moving, cable, mortgage, and other companies. You will not receive phone calls or solicitation emails from third parties as a result of providing personal information.
In the event of a life-threatening emergency call 911. Emergency situations need to be handled by first-responders who can evacuate buildings, shut utilities off, and take other steps necessary to preserve life.
Heimer Engineering℠ Standards of PracticeThe Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ substantially adhere to the InterNACHI® Code of Ethics, to Subpart 197-4 of the State of New York Code of Ethics and Regulations for Home Inspectors, and to the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE®) Code of Ethics. All State of New York Licensed Engineers are also bound by New York State Education Law Article 145.
Heimer Engineering℠ Code of Ethics
The Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ substantially adhere to the InterNACHI® Standards of Practice and the ASHI® Standards of Practice. In the event of a conflict, the Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ use Engineering judgment to decide what standard or Engineering principle takes precedence.
Translate This Webpage
|Using Google Translate, you can view this webpage in the language of your choice.|
Heimer Engineering℠ performs home inspections, building inspections, condominium inspections, and co-op inspections in the State of New York. We do not perform inspections or recommend Inspectors or Engineers outside of the State of New York. We provide Licensed Professional Engineer consultation services including hurricane and storm damage and damage from adjoining construction. Expert witness services are provided regarding playground injuries, parking lot, walkway, and stairway slip, trip, and fall.
The Heimer Engineering℠ website was designed by Harold Krongelb. Post design review was performed by Matthew John Rapisarda. Sitemaps and indexing information can be found at Page Sitemap, Image Sitemap, and Video Sitemap. Heimer Engineering's domains include www.heimer.com, www.home-inspection-ny.com, www.professional-engineer.com, and www.home-inspection-engineer.com. Heimer Engineering posts updates on Facebook.
Microsoft Web Expressions publication timestamp: June 15, 2018.
©1997-2018 Andrea and Harold Krongelb. All rights reserved. Used under license by Heimer Engineering PC.
f/k/a Richard L Heimer PE PC
2171 Jericho Turnpike
Commack, New York, USA 11725-2947
✅ New York Metro: 800.605.1500
✅ New York Metro: 800.640.8090
✅ New York Metro: 646.757.4500
✅ Bronx, New York: 718.547.2000
✅ Brooklyn, New York: 718.237.7777
✅ Manhattan, New York: 212.563.4777
✅ Long Island, New York: 516.487.2100
✅ Long Island, New York: 631.549.2500
✅ Nassau County, New York: 516.487.2100
✅ Putnam County, New York: 845.638.4900
✅ Queens, New York: 718.544.3000
✅ Staten Island, New York: 718.227.5000
✅ Suffolk County, New York: 631.858.5500
✅ Suffolk County, New York: 631.288.3900
✅ Suffolk County, New York: 631.549.2500
✅ Westchester County, New York: 914.576.6100
✅ Fax: 631.858.5599, 646.795.4571
✅ Text: 888.769.6910
✅ Coordinates: 40.8439215, -73.2871259
✅ URL: www.heimer.com
✅ Email: Info@heimer.com
International Standard of Industrial Classification of All Economic Activities (ISIC) Revision 4 Classification: 71
North American Industry Classification System (SAISC) Classification: 541330, 541350