Applying Scientific and
Heimer Engineering℠ Standards Of Practice
Professional Engineer Inspectors
Applying Scientific and Engineering
to Home Inspections
and Building Inspections
Pre-Purchase Home, Building, Condo, and
Co-op Inspections in Manhattan, Queens,
Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island, Nassau,
Suffolk, Rockland, Putnam, and Westchester
Prepare your air conditioning for summer and reduce expenses.
Click here for info on air conditioners.
Click on the green highlighted text to navigate this website.
Call 646.757.4500 and speak with a senior staff member.
Heimer Engineering℠ is happy to help you!
The Home Inspection Standards of Practice deals with aspects of the home inspection such as what is inspected, what the client can expect, what an inspector is permitted to do, etc. These standards do not necessarily say how something is to be inspected, or the standards for judging an aspect of the home.
Home Inspection Standards of Practice are written with an emphasis on one, two, three, and four-family homes. Home Inspection Standards of Practice has limited applicability to a condo or co-op apartments, depending on how it is configured. A Home Inspection Standards of Practice is not written for commercial buildings.
The Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ substantially adhere to the InterNACHI® Standards of Practice, ASHI® Standards of Practice and to Subpart 197-4 of the State of New York Code of Ethics and Regulations for Home Inspectors (to the extent that they apply to Licensed Engineers). Licensed Engineers are also bound by Article 145, the State of New York Professional Engineering, Land Surveying and Geology laws.
In the event of a conflict between different Standards of Practice, or if the Standards of Practice conflict with the Licensed Engineer's responsibility to his client, the Licensed Engineer will use his professional judgment as to what should be inspected. For example, the Standards of Practice for non-Engineers state that a home inspection does not include Engineering. When a Licensed Engineer performs an inspection, Engineering judgment is employed.
New York Standards of Practice You will need to scroll down on their webpage to see the standards.
Because Heimer Engineering℠ only uses Licensed Engineers, there is a need to be careful not to mislead you. Therefore, there are some limited aspects of the standards that we cannot comply with.
- Commenting on the presence or absence of smoke and carbon monoxide detectors may mislead the buyer into thinking that they have adequate protection. Heimer Engineering℠ indicates the need for these vital safety devices regardless of whether or not they are present.
- Only a licensed electrician should open an electric panel. A non-Electrician can create a condition hazardous to the home's occupants by opening an electrical panel. Although this is still listed in some Standards of Practice, most home inspectors will not open electric panels. Heimer Engineering℠ considers safety more important than meaningless show.
- Opening of heat and air-conditioner access panels is limited to panels that are designed to be opened without disrupting the operation of the equipment. Heimer Engineering℠ is not at the site to damage equipment.
- Heat and air-conditioning are only operated when the temperature is acceptable for testing. It would be misleading to attempt to test this equipment when no valuable information can be obtained. Heimer Engineering℠ does not pretend to activate equipment for show.
- It is often not always possible to verify fan ducting. Heimer Engineering℠ does not pretend it does something it cannot do.
- Because of the hazards associated with burning a fire inside a house, recommendations regarding a fireplace include the hazards. Heimer Engineering℠ is not going to ignore a clear hazard.
- Improper rail spacing is only commented on if there is a clear defect. The issue is not nearly as clear as some standards suggest. The Licensed Engineer uses professional judgment to assess the risks.
- Testing of AFCIs and GFCIs may disrupt normal household activities ways that are harmful to occupants. For example, resetting medical equipment is never a good idea. While Heimer Engineering℠ does its best for our clients, we will never put the home occupants at risk.
Contact Heimer Engineering℠
Heimer Engineering℠ is happy to help you. Senior Staff members are available Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. After 5 PM, please leave a message. Messages are checked during the day on Sunday, and Sunday evening through Thursday evening. Inspections are performed seven days a week.
Heimer Engineering's℠ inspection fees are competitive with non-Engineer Home Inspector's fees, especially when you consider that many non-Engineers charge extra for termite inspections, swimming pools, etc.
Inspection orders are taken by senior staff members. A real estate purchase is complex and you should be able to speak with someone who can answer your inspection questions.
To set up an appointment for a pre-purchase inspection or to find out about Engineering services or expert court testimony email Info@heimer.com, text 888.769.6910, call 646.757.4500, or call 631.462.1515. If no staff member is in the office, leave a message.
Ask About a Web Discount
Heimer Engineering℠ serve the Greater New York area, including New York City (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island), Long Island (Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Upstate New York (Rockland County, Putnam County, and Westchester County).
In the event of a life-threatening emergency call 911. Emergency situations need to be handled by first-responders who can evacuate buildings, shut utilities off, and take other steps necessary to preserve life.
Standards of Practice
and Code of Ethics
Heimer Engineering's℠ Professional Engineer Home Inspectors substantially adhere to the InterNACHI® Code of Ethics, to Subpart 197-4 of the State of New York Code of Ethics and Regulations for Home Inspectors, the ASHI® Standards of Practice, and the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE®) Code of Ethics. In the event of a conflict, the Professional Engineer Home Inspectors use Engineering judgment to decide what standard or Engineering principle takes precedence. All State of New York Licensed Professional Engineers are bound by New York State Education Law Article 145.
Ask about a web discount. Discounts are also available for referrals (attorney, real estate broker, mortgage broker, co-worker, friend) first time buyers, senior citizens, military (army, navy, air force, marines, coast guard), first responders (police, ambulance, fire), municipal employees, security personnel, and union members.
Translate This Webpage
|Using Google Translate, you can view this webpage in the language of your choice.|
Heimer Engineering PC℠ performs home inspections, building inspections, condo inspections, and co-op inspections in the State of New York. Expert witness services are provided regarding playground injuries, parking lot, walkway, and stairway slip, trip, and fall.
The Heimer Engineering PC℠ website was designed and is maintained by Harold Krongelb PE. The contents of this website were written by Harold Krongelb PE. This website is not intended to offer Engineering opinions or advice. Sitemaps and indexing information can be found at Page Sitemap, Image Sitemap, Mobile Sitemap, and Video Sitemap.
To protect an individual's privacy, images of people used on this site are either licensed stock images or used with permission. The images of the clients who emailed compliments to Heimer Engineering℠ are not of the actual client.
©1997-2019 Andrea and Harold Krongelb. All rights reserved. Used under a revocable license by Heimer Engineering PC. All documents and methods used by Heimer Engineering PC are owned by Harold and Andrea Krongelb and are used under a revocable license.
Hashtags: #HomeInspection, #HomeInspector, #HouseInspection, #BuildingInspection, #CondoInspection, #CondominiumInspection, #CoopInspection, #ProfessionalEngineer, #LicensedProfessionalEngineer, #NewYorkEngineer, #PrePurchaseInspection, #HeimerEngineering, #NewYork, #PersonalInjuryEngineer, #ExpertWitnessHeimer Engineering℠ PC
2171 Jericho Turnpike
Commack, New York, USA 11725-2947
Heimer Engineering℠ PC
PO Box 1078
Commack, New York, USA 11725-0942
Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island: 646.757.4500
Nassau County, Suffolk County, New York: 516.487.2100 631.858.5500
Westchester County, Putnam County, Rockland County, New York: 914.576.6100 845.638.4900
Basic Info: www.heimer.com/abc
Pre-Inspection Agreement: www.heimer.com/123