Structural System Inspections and
Home, Building, Condo, and
Co-op Inspections Performed by
Licensed Engineer Inspectors

Licensed Engineer Inspectors performing Home, Building, Condo, and Co-op
Inspections in New York City (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx,
and Staten Island), Long Island (Nassau and Suffolk),
and Upstate New York (Rockland, Putnam, and Westchester)

Insight Only An Engineer Inspector Offers

Scroll down to find out why you should use a
Professional Engineer Inspector

Leaning Concrete Block PierOne of the biggest concerns of home and building buyers is the structure of the building.  Fortunately, structural defects in the Metro New York area are less common than in some other parts of the country.  Enforcement of Building codes have helped limit the number of structural defects.

If you buy a building that has a structural defect, the fact that most buildings have no structural defects is of little comfort.  You want to know if the house or building you are considering purchasing is structurally sound.

Some home, building, condo unit, and co-op unit buyers mistakenly believe structural defects are only a concern in older buildings.  Other home, building, condo unit, and co-op unit purchasers feel they can find structural defects just by "looking carefully".  Still other home, building, condo unit, and co-op unit buyers feel that an old building that is still standing must have no structural defects.  Structural defects can be very costly to correct.  Your best chance of finding the structural defect before you purchase the home or building is have a home inspection performed by a Licensed Professional Engineer.

Many structural defects have only subtle symptoms.  For example, a home or building buyer may not recognize floor joists or a sill plate with termite damage that needs $20,000 worth of repairs.  Rot in ceiling joists or roof rafters can also be costly to repair, and may not be apparent when casually examining the building.

How can the structure be checked
without plans, calculations, etc.?

Cracked Main Wood GirderToday, when a house or building is designed, a Registered Architect or Licensed Professional Engineer may perform calculations to determine the required size and spacing of beams, joists, etc.  Alternatively, the Architect or Engineer can rely upon known design guidelines.  Either method produces a structure that can support the expected loads.

Roof TrussesPrior to the existence and enforcement of Building codes, a Architect or Engineer might not have been involved in he construction of a home or building.  This is especially true of one and two-family homes constructed before World War II.  (Many communities had rules regarding multi-family dwellings even before World War II.)

Most homes and buildings have many of the structural elements obscured.  Even if there was sufficient time to take all the needed measurements, the Engineer performing the inspection cannot calculate the load bearing capacity of every section of a home or building.  Further, it is not possible to know the design parameters of, for example, old wood floor joists.  Other methods must be employed to determine the structural soundness of the home or building.

Main Steel GirderIf you search the internet, you will find suggestions that the way to check the structure is a bounce test.  These Web sites suggest that an inspector should jump up and down on the floor to see if there the floor bounces.  If the floor does not bounce, these Web sites suggest that the house is structurally sound.  These Web sites go on to suggest that the person performing the bounce test does not have to be a Engineer, so there is no need to retain a Engineer to perform a pre-purchase home inspection.

An inspector who is not an Engineer can only describe what is visible.
The non-Engineer cannot assess the structural sufficiency or capacity.

Wood Floor JoistsAssessing the structural integrity of home or building involves a lot more than a bounce test.  Most people would agree that the house in the photograph to the right is not structurally sound.  Most houses and buildings have much more subtle indications of structural deficiencies.  Evaluating structural soundness requires considering:

  1. How the house or building was constructed.
  2. How the house or building was altered over the years.
  3. Deterioration (or potential for deterioration) of both accessible and inaccessible structural elements.
  4. The Engineer's knowledge of the causes of structural deterioration in similar homes and buildings.
  5. How the loads are supported within the home or building.
  6. Are any structural members leaning, and does that leaning impact load bearing capacity.
  7. Have the floors settled in excess of normal limits considering the size, age, and construction type of the building.
  8. The Engineer's general knowledge of construction practices.

Sagging Wood Sill PlateAn Engineer's report is not a list of detailed calculations that nobody understands as some Web sites suggest.  An Engineer's report is the Engineer's conclusions regarding the findings during the home inspection.  Only a Licensed Professional Engineer can provide you with an Engineer's Report on the home or building you are considering purchasing.

The following statement regarding home inspection and building inspection was issued by the New York State Board for Engineering and Land Surveying:

It is the opinion of The Board that the inspection and examination of single or multiple family residential, commercial, industrial, or institutional buildings regarding their structural, electrical, and mechanical subsystems for proper integrity or capacity constitutes the practice of engineering as defined by the "law."  Any attempt to determine the structural integrity, capacity of a building, or any subsystem thereof, other than the detection of problems by visual inspection or normal operation of the user’s controls, constitutes the practice of engineering. This would include the diagnosis and analysis of problems with buildings and/or the design of remedial actions.

Therefore, an individual who advertises or practices in this area shall be a registered professional engineer in the State of New York.

Wood Roof TrussesOnly a Licensed Professional Engineers  or a Registered Architect can assess structural sufficiency and capacity.

An inspector who is not an Engineer can only describe what is visible.  The non-Engineer cannot assess the structural sufficiency or capacity.

If you are concerned about the structural integrity of the home or building, you need to have a pre-purchase inspection performed by a Licensed Professional Engineer.

If you are not concerned about the structural integrity of the home or building, what are you looking for in the inspection?

Home InspectionBuilding InspectionCondo InspectionCo-op Inspection
Previous PageSample ReportHome Page24/7 Contact

Heimer Engineering's Engineer Inspectors perform pre-purchase home, building, condo, and co-op inspections, and provide other Engineering services. Heimer Engineering only provides Engineering services in the State of New York. Heimer Engineering's Engineer Inspectors do not provide contracting, construction, building, or repair services. Heimer Engineering is not affiliated with AIA®, ASCE®, ASHI®, ANSI®, ISI®, NACHI®, NAHI®, NSHI®, Amerispec®, A-Pro®, Big Apple®, Brickkicker®, Buyer's Choice®, Criterium®, Gotham, Green Apple®, Hometeam®, Housemasters®, Pillar to Post®, or WIN® Home Inspections. Heimer Engineering cannot tell you how Heimer Engineering's services compare with any of these societies, organizations, or companies. Heimer Engineering cannot provide contact information for any of these societies, organizations, or companies. Heimer Engineering is not affiliated with the City of New York Department of Buildings, or any other community's Department of Buildings. Heimer Engineering cannot p