Heimer Engineering Pre-Purchase Home,
Building, Condo, and Co-op Inspections

Heimer Engineering uses Professional Engineer Inspectors
to perform Home, Building, Condo, and Co-op Inspections in
Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island,
Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Putnam, and Westchester

Insight Only A Professional Engineer Inspector Offers


The Licensed Professional Engineer Inspectors of Heimer Engineering perform pre-purchase home, building, condo, and co-op inspections in the Metro New York area.  Click on a button below or a button to the right for more information.  If your are unsure where to start, try Inspection Basics.

Choose below to find out why you need an Engineer Inspector:
Inspection BasicsHome, Building, Condo, and Co-op Inspection Info
Why Use an Engineer?Why is an Engineer Inspector is your best choice?
Professional Engineer IDsVerify you have a Professional Engineer is at your site
Sample Inspection ReportSample pre-purchase inspection report
First Time Home BuyersInformation for first-time home buyers
Why Pay Twice?Do you need to pay for two home inspections?
Info About EngineersInformation on Licensed Professional Engineers
Inspection ChecklistChecklist before you set up an inspection
Download AgreementsDownload a pre-inspection agreement
 Heimer Engineering PC BBB Business Review

Five reasons to choose a
Professional Engineer Inspector

Licensed Professional Engineers Are you considering using a non-Engineer to inspect the house, building, condo, or co-op that you may purchase?  Consider the following:

  1. Under New York law, only a Professional Engineer can assess structural integrity, sufficiency of electrical service or heating, etc.  A Home Inspector who is not a Professional Engineer cannot advise you about structural soundness.
  2. Becoming a Professional Engineer requires a minimum of four years of Engineering College and four years relevant experience with relevant Building Codes, Engineering Standards, pass two Engineering exams, etc.  A New York Licensed Home Inspector only needs to take 140 hours, which is the equivalent of one month of training.
  3. If there are structural issues, you need a Professional Engineer to assess them.  If a non-Engineer does not recognize a structural issue, how will you know to call in a Professional Engineer?
  4. A Professional Engineer is required to take continuing education to keep up-to-date.  With many thousands of approved online courses, the Professional Engineer can choose Engineering topics that improve inspection skills.
  5. The Professional Engineer's training and experience help him detect deficiencies that a non-Engineer would miss.  Engineers are, by training and experience, problem solvers.  An Engineer can analyze areas of concern and provide you with reliable recommendations.

Woman signing contractSection §197-4.2 of the New York State Home Inspector law requires Home Inspectors to have the following wording in the pre-inspection agreement:

Home inspectors are not permitted to provide engineering or architectural services

THINK about the above restriction and why it is required when choosing who should inspect the home, building, condo, or co-op you are considering purchasing.