Punch List Inspections
Pre-Purchase Condo Inspections
Insight Only Heimer
Today's messages from Heimer Engineering℠.
Rain is forecast for the next few days. Make sure that drains are free of debris.
Click on the green boxes to navigate this site.
Call us if you need us. Inspection orders are taken by senior staff members.
Heimer Engineering℠ is happy to help you.
Not buying a new construction condo apartment unit?. Choose one of the following targeted information webpages.
Why Choose Heimer Engineering℠?
- Heimer Engineering℠ uses only State of New York Licensed Professional Engineers to perform pre-purchase home, building, condo, and co-op inspections. You will not have to pay for a second inspection to check the structure
- Heimer Engineering℠ provides you with an on-site verbal report, an on-site summary report, a termite report, and a full emailed written report.
- The Better Business Bureau gives Heimer Engineering℠ an A+ rating.
- Heimer Engineering's℠ reports are emailed in mobile-friendly smartphone accessible PDF format.
- Heimer Engineering℠ includes cost factors where applicable in the written reports. This helps you understand the cost of needed repairs.
- Heimer Engineering℠ is a full-time Engineering company. Heimer Engineering℠ is here for you. You can always reach Heimer Engineering's℠ owner Harold Krongelb PE at 646.757.4511 or HK@heimer.com.
- Read on for more reasons to choose Heimer Engineering℠.
Six Reasons to Choose
- A Licensed Engineer does everything that a Home Inspector does, and more. A Home Inspector who is not a Licensed Engineer cannot advise you about structural soundness.
- Heimer Engineering's℠ inspection reports go through multiple quality control steps. Don't settle for an instant report that with its instant report errors.
- Becoming a Licensed Engineer requires a minimum of four years of Engineering College and four years of relevant experience, and passing two Engineering exams. A Licensed Engineer is required to take continuing education classes.
- Engineers seek solutions. When unusual conditions are found, Heimer Engineering's℠ Licensed Engineer acts as a detective to find the cause.
- Heimer Engineering's℠ Licensed Engineers assesses the systems of a building and how they work together. Both the function and the interaction of these systems must be evaluated.
- Heimer Engineering's℠ Licensed Engineers' training and experience help them detect deficiencies non-Engineers would miss. Heimer Engineering's℠ Licensed Engineers analyze areas of concern and provides you with Engineering recommendations.
Apartment Condo Units
Punch List Inspections
Prior to Closing on your newly constructed apartment condominium unit, there is a walk-through inspection, usually with a sales representative. Following the walk-through inspection, a punch list is created that details everything the seller is going to correct prior to (or just after) closing.
If you are purchasing a pre-existing apartment condo unit, click below:
The punch list can include things like a scuff mark on the wall, a scratch in wood trim, or a cover plate that is missing. The apartment condominium may be painted the wrong color. The appliances may not be what you agreed upon. But there can also be more significant problems with the appliance installations, the door installation, the heating and air conditioning system, the wiring, etc.
You can probably identify a scratch or scuff marks. But can you identify wiring issues, an incorrectly installed appliance, or a door with improperly installed hinges?
Problems Heimer Engineering℠ identified that you would probably identify:
- There were scuff marks on the paint.
- The range hood fan was missing.
- A bathroom sink did not work.
- A door was stuck shut.
- A window did not close properly.
- A toilet that was running.
Problems Heimer Engineering℠ identified that you might miss:
- One of the PTAC units was not producing any any heat.
- Packing material has not been removed from the hot water heater.
- The hot water heater was never connected.
- There was no thermostat to operate one of the PTAC units.
- There was no heating or cooling in one of the bedrooms.
- A thermostat was installed in the wrong room.
- Closet doors had no catches.
- Closet doors were missing handles.
- Closet doors were missing guides.
- Closet doors were installed in a way that could crush your hand when you closed the door.
- The kitchen cabinet doors were misaligned.
- The kitchen cabinet doors had no catches.
- The microwave door hit into the cabinets when open.
- Electric outlets were improperly wired.
- Electric outlets were missing covers.
- The circuit breaker panel cover did not fit in place because of the wall, so a makeshift cover was installed.
- The circuit breakers were painted over.
- Light fixtures were missing.
- A light switch was not connected to any outlet.
- There was evidence of past leakage that was painted over.
- The riser height on interior steps was uneven.
- The bathroom towel racks had not been installed.
- The doors were installed with low quality hinges that will allow the door to sag.
- The window latches were misaligned.
- Painting was so poorly done that the apartment needed a complete repainting.
- There was cable wiring in a closet that prevented the shelves from being used.
- Clothes hanging poles in a closet blocked the shelves.
- There were missing heating and cooling duct grills.
- Heating and cooling ducts were improperly located and would not heat or cool part of the room.
- The bathtub door was installed backwards, so it was impossible to reach the tub control with the door open.
- The hot and cold water were reversed in the bathroom sink.
- The appliance installation was incomplete.
When reading this list, you may think you would notice many of these defects. This list is taken from the many pre-closing punch list apartment condo inspections performed by Heimer Engineering℠ . Every one of the items on this list was missed by our clients. This is only a partial list of punch list items provided by Heimer Engineering℠ to our clients.
Why Use Heimer Engineering℠
for a Pre-Closing Condo
Punch List Inspection?
The Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ have performed many pre-closing apartment condo punch list inspections. The Licensed Engineer has experience as to what to look for. You will certainly notice some items. And new apartment condos have a warranty from the seller. But do you want the seller's repairmen coming in and out of your new condo apartment to fix things that should have worked from the beginning?
Home Inspector Versus Heimer Engineering℠
Some Home Inspectors have webpages bashing Engineers and making wild claims such as anyone can say he is a PE, and only a home inspector can evaluate the structure of an old building. Before you decide, learn the truth.
You may be told, "You shouldn't use an Engineer because they have so many disclaimers in their report". Heimer Engineering℠ discloses limitation in the report. There are two reasons for this:
- Heimer Engineering℠ is doing more for you than an ordinary Home Inspector. Naturally, there are more limitations that need to be disclosed to you.
- A non-Engineer Home Inspector can use a simple disclaimer: "I'm not an Engineer". Heimer Engineering℠ needs to be specific because much more is inspected.
Leaks and Thermal Imaging
Some Home Inspectors claim thermal imaging provides better information than traditional inspection methods. Claims of an ability to detect leaks and hidden structural defects have been used in home inspection advertising.
Contrary to what some Home Inspectors claim, thermal imaging cannot detect invisible leaks, concealed overheated wiring, structural defects, termite damage, old pipes, asbestos, and mold. Thermal imaging is looking at the infrared emissions (essentially, the temperature) of an object. Thermal imaging provides no special ability to detect concealed defect.
Complaints and Reviews
Many websites allow consumers to rate, recommend, or complain about a company. These reviews can assist or mislead consumers. The websites that post these reviews survive by generating advertising revenue.
The Better Business Bureau is careful about who posts reviews and complaints. Unlike other websites, the Better Business Bureau only posts verified reviews. The Better Business Bureau gives Heimer Engineering℠ a rating of A+.
Positive reviews show satisfied clients. Negative reviews from sellers are the equivalent of positive reviews from clients.
Four Inspection Reports
A lot of information is collected during an inspection by a Licensed Engineer from Heimer Engineering℠. Providing four inspection helps you understand the condition of the real estate you purchasing. All four reports are included in the inspection fee Heimer Engineering℠ quoted to you.
The On-Site Verbal Inspection Report is Heimer Engineering's℠ discussion of the inspection findings. The on-site verbal report provides instant information and the opportunity to ask the Engineer questions.
You are welcome to accompany the Engineer during the inspection and ask questions. The appropriate time for the Engineer to answer questions is after he has completed walking through the site. Answering questions before gathering information risks providing inaccurate answers.
The On-Site Written Inspection Report is a short-form report that highlights Heimer Engineering's℠ findings. This on-site report includes heating, termites, leaks, structure, hot water, electrical system, roof, etc.
The Emailed Written Inspection Report includes information relevant to the inspected home or building and to real estate purchases in general. Additional information is included so you can make an informed decision about purchasing the real estate.
The Emailed Written Inspection Report goes through three quality control reviews. Only after all of these reviews does Heimer Engineering℠ send you the report.
Some inspection companies provide an instant report. A home or building is a major purchase. While quality control does not guarantee no errors, Heimer Engineering℠ makes every effort to minimize errors. Don't settle for an instant report that with its instant report errors..
The Termite Inspection Report is a specialized report banks often need to issue a mortgage. If there is no termite evidence, HHeimer Engineering's℠ termite inspection report is often sufficient to issue a mortgage. If there is termite evidence, then termite control measures are needed. The firm that applies the termite control measures then issues a termite inspection report.
Inspection Photographic Images
A Licensed Engineer's pre-purchase inspection is not performed to show you what the building looks like. Heimer Engineering's℠ reports are not driven by a photograph-based commercial inspection report software. Heimer Engineering℠ uses proprietary inspection report software written by a Licensed Engineer.
The Engineer assesses what is important regardless of how the defect looks in a photographic image. Heimer Engineering's pre-purchase inspection reports are based on providing you with the information needed to make an informed decision.
Photographic images included in a Home Inspector's report may show a gutter draining near a foundation wall, a crack in a path, or siding shingles close to ground level. You never see photographs showing the insufficient electrical service, an undersized boiler, or that a structurally unsound house.
If you want to remember what a room looks like, take photographs. Photographic images add color to a report, but you need a Licensed Engineer to interpret the image. A Licensed Engineer provides a professional opinion regarding structural soundness, sufficiency of the heating system, sufficiency of the hot water system, sufficiency of the electrical system, etc.
Mobile-Friendly Inspection Reports
One cannot keep up with the changes that affect home purchasers. Updated information available via the internet. Heimer Engineering's℠ reports contain links that help you learn more about your prospective purchase.
Many people use smartphones to read emails. Heimer Engineering℠ emails a PDF of the inspection report. Heimer Engineering's℠ reports are mobile-friendly and can be viewed on most smartphones, allowing you quick access to the report.
Is the Home Inspector a
Many inspection companies send non-Engineer inspectors when the buyer requested a Licensed Engineer. At the site, the non-Engineer Inspector promises a review by an Engineer in the office. It is unethical to send a non-Engineer when you expect Engineering services.
When you retain a Licensed Engineer to perform a pre-purchase inspection, you expect a Licensed Engineer to visit the site. It is unethical for a home inspection company to send a non-Engineer when you expect the services of a Licensed Engineer. Heimer Engineering℠ uses only Licensed Engineers to perform pre-purchase inspections.
In New York State, a Licensed Engineer can obtain a state-issued identification card. When the Inspector arrives on site, ask to see the New York State Professional Engineer photo ID. A non-Engineer cannot lawfully obtain a State of New York Professional Engineer's photo ID.
Pre-purchase inspection standards specifically exclude environmental inspections. Some companies imply they provide environmental inspections by pointing out environmental concerns. These Inspectors often have limited environmental experience, and may unnecessarily alarm real estate purchasers.
The Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ point out environmental concerns like other Inspectors. Heimer Engineering℠ will not deceive you by claiming the pre-purchase inspection is an environmental inspection.
Code of Ethics
Standards of Practice
A Home Inspector's Code of Ethics deals with non-inspection issues such as the Inspector's relationship with the buyer, seller, and real estate broker. The Standards of Practice deals with what is inspected, what the client can expect, what an Inspector is permitted to do, etc.
The Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ substantially adhere to multiple home inspection codes of ethics and standards of practice. If the Code of Ethics or Standards of Practice conflict with the Heimer Engineering's℠ responsibility to you, the Licensed Engineer uses his professional judgment.
Heimer Engineering℠ only shares the inspection findings with you and you Attorney. Heimer Engineering℠ is required to use information obtained during the inspection only for your benefit. If someone other than you or your Attorney calls for information, Heimer Engineering℠ requires your written authorization before we speak with them.
During the inspection, the Heimer Engineering℠ examines, analyzes, and/or reports on (as appropriate based on the building):
Inspections New Condo
Punch List Co-op
Heimer Engineering's℠ pre-purchase inspection describes the condition at the time of the inspection. The condition of the building can change after the inspection. A pre-closing inspection helps you find out what has changed.
A pre-closing inspection is important because:
- Furniture and stored material should have been removed, providing access to more areas and possibly exposing defects;
- Leaks may have develop after the original inspection;
- A system or appliances that were functioning during the original inspection may break;
- A strong storm, neighborhood construction, very hot or very cold weather, etc. may damage the building;
- And many more changes can occur.
The best way to protect yourself is a pre-closing inspection. Heimer Engineering's℠ Licensed Engineer returns to the site before closing, and determines what has changed. A pre-closing inspection gives you the opportunity to have adjustments made at closing.
Use the buttons below to navigate this page.
Contact Heimer Engineering℠ 24/7
Heimer Engineering℠ is happy to help you. Senior Staff members are available to answer your questions from Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. After 5 PM, please leave a message. Messages are checked during the day on Sunday, and Sunday evening through Thursday evening. Inspections are performed seven days a week. Choose Heimer Engineering℠.
Inspection orders are taken by senior staff members. A real estate purchase is complex, and you should be able to speak with someone who can give you real answers to your inspection questions.
To set up an appointment for a pre-purchase inspection, or to find out about Engineering services or expert court testimony send Heimer Engineering℠ an email at WebInfoRequest@heimer.com, send Heimer Engineering℠ a text at 888.769.6910, call Heimer Engineering℠ at 800.605.1500, or call Heimer Engineering℠ at 646.757.4500. If no staff member is in the office, leave a message.
Heimer Engineering℠ serves the Metro New York area, including New York City (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island), Long Island (Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Upstate New York (Rockland County, Putnam County, and Westchester County).
Heimer Engineering℠ respects your privacy. Some inspection firms share information with insurance, landscaping, home maintenance, moving, cable, mortgage, and other companies. You will not receive phone calls or solicitation emails from third parties as a result of providing personal information.
In the event of a life-threatening emergency call 911. Emergency situations need to be handled by first-responders who can evacuate buildings, shut utilities off, and take other steps necessary to preserve life.
Heimer Engineering℠ Standards of PracticeThe Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ substantially adhere to the InterNACHI® Code of Ethics, to Subpart 197-4 of the State of New York Code of Ethics and Regulations for Home Inspectors, and to the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE®) Code of Ethics. All State of New York Licensed Engineers are also bound by New York State Education Law Article 145.
Heimer Engineering℠ Code of Ethics
The Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ substantially adhere to the InterNACHI® Standards of Practice and the ASHI® Standards of Practice. In the event of a conflict, the Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ use Engineering judgment to decide what standard or Engineering principle takes precedence.
Translate This Webpage
|Using Google Translate, you can view this webpage in the language of your choice.|
f/k/a Richard L Heimer PE PC
2171 Jericho Turnpike
Commack, New York, USA 11725-2947