Building Inspection Checklist
Pre-Purchase Building Inspections
Insight Only Heimer
Today's messages from Heimer Engineering℠.
Happy Father's Day!
Click on the green boxes to navigate this website.
Call us if you need us. Inspection orders are taken by senior staff members.
Heimer Engineering℠ is happy to help you.
Download About the Inspection and the Client Information Sheet. Click here is you have questions on why you need a pre-purchase building inspection. The following building inspection checklist contains points to consider before you set up the building inspection appointment with the Engineer Inspector.
Be sure and read the important information at the end of this building inspection checklist.
- Do you have an accepted offer? Is the seller or real estate broker going to allow you to perform the inspection without an accepted offer? Just because someone tells you, "I think the offer will be accepted" does not mean the offer was accepted. Many Real Estate Brokers and sellers do not permit an inspection until there is an accepted offer.
- Have you verified that you can access the building at the time you made the appointment? You need keys or someone such as the owner or Real Estate Broker to open the building. It has been our experience that real estate that is accessible at any time is not usually so readily accessible.
- If the building has two or more units, how many are accessible? For a four to twenty family building, we are usually only allowed access to two or three apartments. For larger buildings, we are usually allowed into four or five apartments. The reason for limited access is that tenants are often not cooperative in allowing access.
- Has whoever is providing you access allowed a sufficient amount of time for the inspection? It is in your best interest to make sure that we will be allowed inside for a minimum of one hour, and longer for larger buildings. If there are time restrictions, let the Engineer know at the beginning so he can make adjustments to his inspection protocols, if possible.
- Are there utilities that need to be activated? There are many inspections where it is not possible to activate utilities. If any utilities (electricity, water, heat, hot water, gas, etc.) need to be activated, make sure that the utilities have been activated before scheduling the inspection. Depending on the utilities to be activated the day of the inspection rarely works.
- Does any stored material need to be moved? The Engineer is not permitted to move personal property, nor can he request that personal property be moved. The most common areas blocked by personal property is the roof access hatch.
- Do you have your Attorney information, including your Attorney's email address? In order to get the report out as fast as possible, it is emailed to both you and your Attorney.
- Do you have specific questions? Make sure that you ask the Engineer your questions at the beginning of the inspection. However, many questions cannot be answered until the end of the inspection.
- Are you having friends or family accompany you at the inspection? Make sure that they understand that the inspection is for your benefit, and they should not interfere with the inspection. Well-meaning friends and relatives have affected inspection outcomes by turning on and off equipment, raising or lowering thermostats, taking covers off equipment, running hot water, locking doors after looking into rooms, etc.
- You may need general information on what a pre-purchase building inspection includes.
Building Inspection Info
- If you are not going to be at the building inspection, you need to download a pre-inspection agreement and send it to us.
Download Inspection Agreements
Contact Heimer Engineering℠ 24/7
Heimer Engineering℠ is happy to help you. Senior Staff members are available to answer your questions from Monday through Friday from 9 AM to 5 PM. After 5 PM, please leave a message. Messages are checked during the day on Sunday, and Sunday evening through Thursday evening. Inspections are performed seven days a week. Choose Heimer Engineering℠.
Inspection orders are taken by senior staff members. A real estate purchase is complex, and you should be able to speak with someone who can give you real answers to your inspection questions.
To set up an appointment for a pre-purchase inspection, or to find out about Engineering services or expert court testimony send Heimer Engineering℠ an email at WebInfoRequest@heimer.com, send Heimer Engineering℠ a text at 888.769.6910, call Heimer Engineering℠ at 800.605.1500, or call Heimer Engineering℠ at 646.757.4500. If no staff member is in the office, leave a message.
Heimer Engineering℠ serves the Metro New York area, including New York City (Manhattan, Queens, Brooklyn, Bronx, Staten Island), Long Island (Nassau County, Suffolk County, and Upstate New York (Rockland County, Putnam County, and Westchester County).
Heimer Engineering℠ respects your privacy. Some inspection firms share information with insurance, landscaping, home maintenance, moving, cable, mortgage, and other companies. You will not receive phone calls or solicitation emails from third parties as a result of providing personal information.
In the event of a life-threatening emergency call 911. Emergency situations need to be handled by first-responders who can evacuate buildings, shut utilities off, and take other steps necessary to preserve life.
Heimer Engineering℠ Standards of PracticeThe Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ substantially adhere to the InterNACHI® Code of Ethics, to Subpart 197-4 of the State of New York Code of Ethics and Regulations for Home Inspectors, and to the National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE®) Code of Ethics. All State of New York Licensed Engineers are also bound by New York State Education Law Article 145.
Heimer Engineering℠ Code of Ethics
The Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ substantially adhere to the InterNACHI® Standards of Practice and the ASHI® Standards of Practice. In the event of a conflict, the Licensed Engineers of Heimer Engineering℠ use Engineering judgment to decide what standard or Engineering principle takes precedence.
Translate This Webpage
|Using Google Translate, you can view this webpage in the language of your choice.|
Heimer Engineering℠ performs home inspections, building inspections, condominium inspections, and co-op inspections in the State of New York. We do not perform inspections or recommend Inspectors or Engineers outside of the State of New York. We provide Licensed Professional Engineer consultation services including hurricane and storm damage and damage from adjoining construction. Expert witness services are provided regarding playground injuries, parking lot, walkway, and stairway slip, trip, and fall.
The Heimer Engineering℠ website was designed by Harold Krongelb. Post design review was performed by Matthew John Rapisarda. Sitemaps and indexing information can be found at Page Sitemap, Image Sitemap, and Video Sitemap. Heimer Engineering's domains include www.heimer.com, www.home-inspection-ny.com, www.professional-engineer.com, and www.home-inspection-engineer.com. Heimer Engineering posts updates on Facebook.
Microsoft Web Expressions publication timestamp: June 15, 2018.
©1997-2018 Andrea and Harold Krongelb. All rights reserved. Used under license by Heimer Engineering PC.
f/k/a Richard L Heimer PE PC
2171 Jericho Turnpike
Commack, New York, USA 11725-2947
✅ New York Metro: 800.605.1500
✅ New York Metro: 800.640.8090
✅ New York Metro: 646.757.4500
✅ Bronx, New York: 718.547.2000
✅ Brooklyn, New York: 718.237.7777
✅ Manhattan, New York: 212.563.4777
✅ Long Island, New York: 516.487.2100
✅ Long Island, New York: 631.549.2500
✅ Nassau County, New York: 516.487.2100
✅ Putnam County, New York: 845.638.4900
✅ Queens, New York: 718.544.3000
✅ Staten Island, New York: 718.227.5000
✅ Suffolk County, New York: 631.858.5500
✅ Suffolk County, New York: 631.288.3900
✅ Suffolk County, New York: 631.549.2500
✅ Westchester County, New York: 914.576.6100
✅ Fax: 631.858.5599, 646.795.4571
✅ Text: 888.769.6910
✅ Coordinates: 40.8439215, -73.2871259
✅ URL: www.heimer.com
✅ Email: Info@heimer.com
International Standard of Industrial Classification of All Economic Activities (ISIC) Revision 4 Classification: 71
North American Industry Classification System (SAISC) Classification: 541330, 541350